Los Al Alumni
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LAHS memories -- off campus

2 posters

Go down

LAHS memories -- off campus Empty LAHS memories -- off campus

Post  larry Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:31 pm

Just to get this topic started -- here are some LAHS memories culled from other sites.

OFF-CAMPUS MEMORIES

These memories have been culled from a couple different websites

The A&W

I left town before Volcano Burgers opened for business. I miss the burgers at Carl's Junior. Old timers will remember that in the very early 60's the ONLY hamburger stand in town was the A & W. It must have been there since the Stone Age. Our family used to go there when I was a little tike. Talk about CRUISIN'! Papa burgers/Mama burgers/Baby burgers. Car hops in black skirts and boots (Trouble Trouble). Competetion arose when Jack-in-the-Box opened in '64 or '65, McDonalds came much later...
Donald Lumm

You just brought back some great Old memories about A&W. The tray that hung on the car window full of hamburgers and rootbeer floats. My family would try and go at least once or twice a month. The only Mac Donalds in the 60's was way over on Lincoln Ave. That was a treat also since it was a little bit of a drive. Then good 'ol Bobs Big Boy. A great hang out after those Oak Junior High dances. As for Volcano Burgers, I remember when that used to be a Taco place. First time I ever tasted a taco. Can't remember what the name of it was. It was the late 60's. We usually ate at Carls Junior for lunch since we got "free" hamburgers.....(The good old days)!
Connie Fritz ‘72

Hi Don! Even funnier, my sister Joyce and her husband Paul own the old A & W, it is now Paul's Place, a very successful and better Volcano Burger type place. Their food is very good. Talk to you. Lisa Kisner ‘76

larry

Back to top Go down

LAHS memories -- off campus Empty Off-campus memories -- The Sanitarium

Post  larry Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:32 pm

The Sanitarium[/b]

As for the demise of the Sanitarium. It was torn down sometime in 77'. I got a summer job loading & unloading freight at the Viking Freight station that went up behind it. That was in 78', and all that was left of it by then was an empty lot with a bunch of trees in it. SO there you have it Surprised)

I too have fond memories of growing up in Los Alamitos (Rossmoor), where my parents still reside. By the way, not only were the burgers tasty at VB but the fries were heavenly.....I proudly followed in my brother Lloyd's footsteps (1974 grad) by working at Shakey's Pizza. It was a rite of passage in those days. I remember being pretty freaked out about the Sanatarium. My friends and I were always afraid to pass by on the same side of the street! Thanks to those of you who helped to bring back fond memories of my childhood.....Gayle Ehrenkamp

larry

Back to top Go down

LAHS memories -- off campus Empty Off-campus memories -- McDonalds, Jack-in-the-Box

Post  larry Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:33 pm

McDonalds

The closest McDonalds in those days of yesteryear was the one on Lincoln/Carson Ave near the "Ploughboys" Market. There was also a go-cart track near there, too (Fun Fun). So what was the name of the Taco place that became Vocano Burgers??

I agree with you about the Hawaiian Gardens McDonald's being such a treat because of the slight distance. (For the longest time, the only other ones around were Valley View & Chapman, and at Spring just west of Palo Verde on the way to ZODY'S!!!) Now, where was the Carl's in Los Al? I want to say Katella, but I'm not 100% sure. (The old one in Cypress was at Ball and Walker.)

Jack in the Box

Jack-in-the-box was an interesting phenomenon. I can't believe the Los Al PD allowed that to go on for so long.
But they did eventually break it up and I don't think the students since then have had a meeting place like that! It was an experience!

Ah yes, the old night out at Jack-in-the-Box after the football games. Everyone would break off from there to go to parties. I remember one party behind the Jack-in-the-Box that the Los Al PD broke up, and hiding under someones car with a case of beer, and hoping that the driver did not come along, or that the cops did not notice me there. Lot's of great memories from that place
Jon Gussler

OH YEA! Jack In The Box.

I was there one night when Officer Cantu decided to break it all up and Mike Silvira was telling him he was 18 and didn't have to leave ... RIGHT!
I went to jail that night because I picked up Mikes wallet and tried to give it to the other officer, while Cantu was kicking Mikes butt, then Cantu started grabing and beating me also.
If you were there you might remember Dave Alverez getting some Cantu WhupAss also for saying over and over "Your all witnesses, police brutality!!!"
Oh what a night.
Thanks again to Billy Norrad, if you remember.
Doug Gibson '77 -- dragin@maui.net

larry

Back to top Go down

LAHS memories -- off campus Empty Re: LAHS memories -- off campus

Post  larry Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:33 pm

Mister Taco - now Volcano Burger

Volcano Burgers was known as Mr. Taco, whose taco burgers had Taco Bell's counterpart--the Bellbeefer--beat hands down!

Was Mr. Taco the place across the street from the school? Haven't been down that way in years and have become somewhat geographically challenged in regards to Los Al landmarks. I used to spend a lot of my Math RC time at a donut place down Los Al Blvd. just before the Hawaiian Gardens border as did many other "scholars". Forgot the name of that place too (maybe a Winchells) but spent too much flexible scheduling time at both of them.

And I very much remember the A&W (now Paul's Place) as well as Bob's and the original Claim Jumper.

Geller Cement

larry

Back to top Go down

LAHS memories -- off campus Empty The Sugar Shack

Post  larry Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:34 pm

The Sugar Shack

Yes, I do remember the "Sugar Shack". Way back when, my friends, sisters and I would make crank phone calls to the "Sugar Shack" asking if we could get a job there. They probably got sick of the calls and closed the place down. ha.

Things certainly have changed there on that stretch of Los Alamitos Blvd.! Does anyone remember there was a dance studio there on the corner? It was called Marilyn something,can't quite remember. And I do remember the very first fast food was up the street towards Rossmore Center, it was a small Orange Juileus. I think it was where the Carls Junior is now? Not real sure but it was in that general area. It sat all by itself for a while. :-) Connie

I think it was Marilyn Fischer Dance Studio. My sister took dance lessons there from what I recall. I remember Orange Julius too.

larry

Back to top Go down

LAHS memories -- off campus Empty Lew Webb

Post  larry Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:34 pm

Lew Webb

I too have fond Memories of Lew Webb. My best Friend from High School, Jay Bobinette, his dad was and still is a Personal friend of Lew's, and he introduced me to Lew in 1978. I had never bought a car before, I had bought a couple before from my sister karen, but I just paid her cash, so I really had no credit when I went to see Lew. He told me" Well you have no credit, but I am chairman of the board on the bank we finance with, so I will carry the pink slip myself, If you promise to pay me back" Well you better belive I paid him every cent for that car, and I never forgot how kind he was to me, and I bought alot more cars over the next 15 years, always from Lew. My friend Jay's dad was a Teacher, and when he retired from teaching, He went to work for Lew, untill Lew ended up selling I belive all of his dealerships. I was just a young man when I met Lew, But he made an inpression on me that I will never forget!
Ray Mealey<

Funny you should bring Aero Motors alongside the Sanitorium, as Aero seems to have wound up on the same block during the '80s. (I did a two-day rental from Aero in late '84.)
On how Lew Webb got his start: Evidently, he owned the original Texaco at Farquhar and Los Al for years starting around '59 or '60. Back then, it had a garage for car repairs and of course full-service gas. (Today, Texaco's still there--but in the form of the Mini-Mart/self-serve gas/drive-through car wash combo.)

larry

Back to top Go down

LAHS memories -- off campus Empty Rossmoor Center

Post  larry Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:35 pm

Rossmoor Center

Yes, the Carl's Junior was located in Rossmoor Center, next to Taco Bell and Winchell's Donuts. If my memory is correct, it replaced the "Kentucky Beef" outlet which was a business flop...

Our family moved to Orangewood Ave. in Rossmoor in early '61. I remember being told that most of the Rossmoor tract was built in '58-'60. The Dutch Haven tract near the former Naval Air Station base is slightly older, and there were, of course, a number of individual housing units that were much older than that because of the history of the base.

One more thing- I remember well, as many others do, when the Navy training jet crashed after take off on Yellowtail Dr. (and the adjacent street) in Dec. '66. I think that at least 1 person or as many as 4 people on the ground were killed (others can help verify this); I remember riding my bike over there to see it...

The Fox--now the Seal Beach branch of Farmers & Merchants Bank--was the first movie house I ever visited without adult supervision (10 yrs. old)!! A bunch of us saw the original "101 Dalmatians." Viewings of several other movies followed over the years.

Like many other folks back in the day, our family did the drive-ins (movies) for $2.50-$3.50 per car load. We rotated among Los Altos (now another shopping center at Spring and Bellflower), Hi-Way 39 (now the Westminster Wal-Mart and other stores), the Buena Park/Lincoln combo (now a housing tract), the Long Beach (which became the X-rated drive-in around the late '70s before Hughes Aircraft got a hold of the property), and the Lakewood (land most likely acquired by Boeing).

As for Kress, I think I went into the one at Rossmoor Center only once. But if it was anything like the one in downtown Long Beach (where I actually accompanied Mom and other relatives at various times in the '60s), it was wonderful--all the penny candy, the cheap toys and hair accessories, the photo machine, and of course the lunch counter!\\\\

Oh yes! the lunch counter at S.H.Kress! what a treat! I think it is now a discount golf shop. How about Gino's Pizza!!!! Pizza by the slice and a big coke for next to nothing!!!!! AND a nice regular boys cut at the Rossmore Barbers! The old Fox theater that even had a live magic show on saturday mornings once in a while.... and then there is....and what about..... oh man! the memory banks have over flowed!

Just caught the tail end of this conversation & wanted to throw my 2 cents in. The pizza place in the center was Generro's, pizza for $.25 a slice, (jeez, am I dating myself or what), and the best garlic bread I've ever eaten. And while we're on the subject of the Shopping Center, the market was originally a "Food Giant", and let's not forget the Rossmoor Bakery, the Boston Store, or the king of them all, "The Bowling Alley"

Generro's!!! They moved out of Rossmoor and opened up on Lampson and ??? for a while too.

"The Bowl" was a favorite hang out for a long time! Playing pinball for hours on end! One of my first jobs, not counting the paper route, was washing dishes at The Rossmoor Inn. Next to nothing for pay , but I could afford a slice of pizza Wink, but we ate prime rib every night , that was the easiest for the cooks to throw at us Wink . Another favorite... Fio Ritos on the other end of Rossmoor , I washed dishes there too. I worked at Taco Bell too, when they still lit the fire pit Smile
Thanks for the memories....
Doug Gibson'77

And You Can't forget...George the security guard he would take our skateboards away from us......

Your memory is good! And how about the Orange Julius that went up in the same location. Not forgetting to mention the "Fishermans Wharf Fish & Chips", located directly next to the Taco Bell. Had my first start of employment there at Fish & Chips, and after graduating (mid term) from Los Al, was offered the posistion of Manager of the unit, (unfortunately they let the other manager go, who was a family man of 6 kids- if the count is correct). But that was the start of my culinary career as it was then and has stayed that way. What memories!
Denis

Thanks for your info regarding the Orange Julius and Fisherman's Wharf Fish & Chips. I had forgotten about these stores. They were definately short-lived and apparently suffered from too little foot traffic. My scoutmaster was the general contractor for the Taco Bell which was built in '67 or '68. Do you remember that EVERY food item at Taco Bell cost 19 cents? Then, a couple years later, they raised the price to 25 cents....

Think the Fish & Chips was built just after the Taco Bell, I remember the grand opening, and the place was always busy, especially on Friday nights. The line would wrap around the corner to Winchells, at that time 2 filets of fish (cod) and fries with tartar sauce was $1.00! Then we introduce the Halibut fish, which we served for afew cents more. I was there at least 2 years, then left the state. I remember the 19 cent menu at Taco Bell too. Would spend alot of time there and meals as well. Can you believe the Parasol is STILL there?! Pretty remarkable hun!

larry

Back to top Go down

LAHS memories -- off campus Empty Helms Bakery Truck

Post  larry Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:36 pm

HELMS BAKERY TRUCK
Yes, I remember "Bill's Car Wash" that was located behind Nevin's Donuts....it is another landmark that probably dates to the Stone Age. I too had my fair share of Nevin's Donuts, but the BEST donuts on the planet (as far as I'm concerned) were sold by Helm's Bakery. The Helm's Bakery was located in Los Angeles. Throughout the 1960's Helm's Bakery sent a delivery truck to Rossmoor streets every weekday to sell the goodies. I used to wait like crazy for that GMC panel truck and that friendly old man make his rounds after elementary school hours to buy a 6 cent glazed donut. He drove real slow and blew a shrill whistle to alert housewifes and hungry kids. I have not had a better tasting donut since those days of the Helm's man. I think that the deliverys stopped when the company was bought out in the early 1970's...
Donald Lumm

I too remember that truck! Smile When the guy would pull out those long drawers it was heaven! ;p I was back in the old 'hood for a while and Jim Peckus had bought one of the trucks and had it stored in his folks garage....wonder if he ever got it running ????????????
Doug Gibson '77

larry

Back to top Go down

LAHS memories -- off campus Empty Lew Webb

Post  Pam Bartholomew Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:32 pm

I used to babysit for the Webbs. I was in the same class as Lew Jr., and I babysat his little brother Jeremy. A great gig for a high school job! I also babysat for the Phillipses, of Phillips Tire Company. I got new tires for my Volkswagen Squareback by babysitting!

Pam Bartholomew

Back to top Go down

LAHS memories -- off campus Empty Re: LAHS memories -- off campus

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down