Los Al Alumni
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LAHS Memories - Sex Education

Go down

LAHS Memories - Sex Education Empty LAHS Memories - Sex Education

Post  larry Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:37 pm

Sex Education

FLSE (Family Life/Sex Education) was principally taught by Peggy Reep (a nurse)at Los Al in the early years. Was heavy On the discussion end of life challenges of which sex was certainly one for many high schoolers. It almost felt like a group therapy class at times. Because of F>S>, you could participate light or heavy or not at all. There were not a lot of parents in the 67-69 time frame thrilled that their children wer learning all the in's and out's of birth control or even relationships/commitment
/communication/ etc. Lots of experimentation going on those days and not just with sex.

The teacher Peggy Reep still lives in Rossmoor, She was the districts nurse for the elementary schools.

larry

Back to top Go down

LAHS Memories - Sex Education Empty Re: LAHS Memories - Sex Education

Post  larry Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:37 pm

HELMS BAKERY TRUCK

Yes, I remember "Bill's Car Wash" that was located behind Nevin's Donuts....it is another landmark that probably dates to the Stone Age. I too had my fair share of Nevin's Donuts, but the BEST donuts on the planet (as far as I'm concerned) were sold by Helm's Bakery. The Helm's Bakery was located in Los Angeles. Throughout the 1960's Helm's Bakery sent a delivery truck to Rossmoor streets every weekday to sell the goodies. I used to wait like crazy for that GMC panel truck and that friendly old man make his rounds after elementary school hours to buy a 6 cent glazed donut. He drove real slow and blew a shrill whistle to alert housewifes and hungry kids. I have not had a better tasting donut since those days of the Helm's man. I think that the deliverys stopped when the company was bought out in the early 1970's...
Donald Lumm

I too remember that truck! Smile When the guy would pull out those long drawers it was heaven! ;p I was back in the old 'hood for a while and Jim Peckus had bought one of the trucks and had it stored in his folks garage....wonder if he ever got it running ????????????
Doug Gibson '77

larry

Back to top Go down